Tuesday 17 January 2012

What's in a Wedding?

I wrote a post a while ago (here) about why photographers charge so much for weddings. It was a bit general and a bit whiney so I thought I'd take you through the whole process.  So... what's involed?

Advertising
I have to let you know I'm there! There's lots of ways to do it. I have a website, a Facebook page and a Twitter feed. All of which take time to update. I also have hundreds of leaflets and flyers in shops and hotels spread around the area. I've talked about it before but I do a lot of networking. That can be quite expensive, both in terms of time and money. And then of course there's the wedding fairs. They can cost up to £120 for a stand and always happen on Sundays!

Consultation
Once you've found me you'll naturally want to meet me, have a chat and see some sample albums. I'll come to your house or you can come to my studio and we'll sit for about an hour and go through any questions you might have. You can look at 3 or 4 sample albums, thank you cards and other photos in my portfolio. We'll go through exactly what you want from me and if you like what you see you'll book me and pay a deposit.

Before the Wedding
A week or so before the wedding I'll get back in touch with you again to finalise the details. What are the timings? What group photos do you want? Is there anyone special I absolutely must get a shot of? Again, I can come to you or you can pop into my studio for a coffee.

On the Morning
I'll be at the bride's house or hotel in time to photograph the girls getting ready. Hair, make-up, getting into the dress, all the important behind-the-scenes stuff! I normally get there about 3 hours before the ceremony itself to make sure I don't miss anything.



The Boys
About 45 minutes before the ceremony I arrive with the boys. I'll get a few shots of them all together, the groom on his own and with the best man. I'll also get shots of the venue itself and the guests arriving.




The Ceremony
If the vicar/registrar allows it I'll be there, out of the way, to capture all the important moments throughout the ceremony itself - the bride's arrival, the exchanging of vows, readings, exchanging the rings, the first kiss and the new Mr and Mrs walking out together.







That's probably enough for now.  Keep an eye out for Part 2 next week!

No comments: